Daniel enjoys solving complex taxation and trust law issues for private enterprises who share his entrepreneurial spirit. He is a trusted confidant in designing and implementing robust personal and business succession plans. Daniel’s commitment to protecting and enhancing the commercial and personal interests of his clients consistently delivers great outcomes.
Daniel looks to lead and guide change through his role as chair of the Law Institute of Victoria’s Taxation and Revenue Law Committee, and as a regular presenter at state and national industry conventions, conferences and workshops.
He is a Chartered Tax Advisor with The Tax Institute, accredited as a specialist in Taxation Law with the Law Institute of Victoria, and the principal author of the Trust Structures Guide, recognised by The Tax Institute as "the leading resource for anyone advising on trusts, structuring and planning issues".
In February 2016, Daniel was named one of Australia's “Best Lawyers of the Year” in the practice of tax law. The list is compiled by United States peer-review company Best Lawyers and was published in the Australian Financial Review.
Always keen to explore new opportunities, Daniel is driven by the belief that "a lot of the things that seem ridiculously small and inconsequential right now, will eventually cast a shadow that people will be chasing for decades".
Daniel’s areas of practice include:
- Federal and State tax law advice and dispute management
- Tax efficient commercial contracts and transactions
- Design and implementation of tax sensitive business and personal succession plans
- Design and implementation of tax sensitive business and investment structures
- Trust law advice and structuring
- Wealth preservation advice
- Intellectual property identification and protection
Professional associations and awards:
- Chartered Tax Adviser - The Tax Institute
- Chair of the Law Institute of Victoria’s Taxation and Revenue Law Committee
- Member of the Program Committee for The Tax Institute’s National Convention
- Listed in Best Lawyers, Tax Law 2016
Download a PDF version of Daniel Smedley's Professional Profile