Personal Succession Planning
Understanding the needs of our clients is paramount to protecting their future
With an ageing population holding considerable wealth, many issues arise on the transfer of that wealth to younger generations. These circumstances are complicated by the frequency of second marriages between people having children from a previous marriage, assets held in trusts or by private companies, the ever increasing wealth in superannuation funds and complex taxation and other laws governing these issues.
At Sladen Legal we assist high-net-worth individuals and business owners in preserving and passing on the wealth that they have accumulated during their lifetime. Our approach to personal succession planning is holistic – we understand much of the wealth you control may be invested in businesses, trusts and companies and not owned by you personally.
For others, superannuation and the family home may be their main source of wealth. We work closely with each client to tailor an estate plan which will provide for the future needs of their families.
Our expertise in trusts, taxation, superannuation and asset protection enables us to develop succession plans that are robust enough to withstand challenge from third parties but also flexible enough to adapt to an ever-changing economic environment.
We provide expert guidance in the following areas of personal succession:
- Structuring of simple or complex or special purpose testamentary trusts
- Special disability trusts
- Mutual Will agreements
- Powers of Attorney
- Superannuation including binding death benefit nominations (BDBN) and pensions (link to super page)
- Early withdrawal of super benefits to maximise capital available to pay gifts under will
- Use of life insurance
- Estate planning with succession of control of trusts and companies
- Business succession planning
- Statements of wishes to trustees and appointors
- Minimising risk of family provision claims
- Family agreements
- Deceased estates and estate administration (link to deceased estates page)
- Deceased estate litigation including family provision claims
+61 3 9611 0145